Monday, March 3, 2014

Why I Chose The Boston Bruins Foundation as my Boston Marathon Charity


We are 48 days away from the 118th Running of the Boston Marathon! This still feels like a dream come true, it's still surreal. January 30th, 2014 is forever going to be a life-changing day. That was the day The Boston Bruins Foundation extended me the last spot on their Boston Marathon charity team. I remember my response like it was yesterday. I remember crying, shaking, going to work and being hysterically happy, emailing back and forth to Boston, and realizing that I would join the field of athletes on April 21st, 2014 as we run to Copley Square in the city of Boston.

A charity entry is something I have been working on since September 2013. I kept it quiet because I didn't want to jinx my chances and get people all excited for nothing. I submitted applications to various charities that I knew I could stand behind and advocate for. I didn't just go down the list and send applications to every single charity on the list, and trust me there are a lot. I took my time and researched charities that sounded like they would be a fit for me. For example, I took a look at charities that assisted with cancer treatments, medical services, children's programs, and environmental organizations. All in all, I think I completed and submitted 8 applications to charities in hopes to receive a ticket to Boston. 6 of those charities did not offer me a spot on their team. You could imagine that the application, interview, and selection process this year was more competitive than ever. Two of those  charities in fact told me I came in 2nd and to apply next year for a sure shot at a bib. I can say, I really appreciate all of the charity coordinators I've interfaced with over the past few months...their job isn't easy by a long shot.

I was offered and humbly accepted the invitation to join the The Boston Bruins Foundation marathon team. Last week, I received my official Confirmation of Acceptance from the Boston Athletic Association, so you can imagine that the tears started all over again. Many of you have asked why I chose to join this particular team. I think this is a fair question, considering I am campaigning and fundraising $7,500.00 for this cause. Sidebar, we are almost half way there can you believe it?!

I chose this team because they do incredible work not only in the city of Boston but throughout all of New England. The mission of the Foundation is to provide resources to charities that meet their set of requirements to help improve the quality of life for children. Some of the programs that the foundation helps to support include athletics, academics, health, and community outreach. The foundation is multi-faceted and reaches and touches so many lives. I am a person that is all about making a difference. Children deserve to have the resources and capabilities to live their best lives so they can go on to become adults and do amazing things with their lives. When you give a child the gift of education, healthcare, athletic or other extracurricular activity, and show them the importance of advocacy, that is a recipe for success. THAT is why I chose the Boston Bruins Foundation. I am a proud member of this team. Although, I live in Southern California, and have only had the pleasure of running past the TD Garden on my running tour with my BRFs last June, the impacts that your funds will make to the children in New England is nothing short of amazing.

I run for them. I run for those effected by last year's terrible events at the finish line. I run to prove to myself that I can conquer this course. I am anxious to earn my jacket and say that I am a Boston finisher. I may not have qualified (yet), but I know that the money I've helped to raise is going to improve the lives of some amazing kids that are deserving! That for me is enough.

I ask you to help make not just my dreams, but their dreams come true by donating here to the cause. You can also use the secure CrowdWise widget in the right column of the page, just click the orange button. In the coming weeks, I will have a See Sharp Run Boston 2014 keychain available with 100% of the proceeds going to the fundraiser.

To all of you that have donated, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I literally can't do this without you. I have never raised this much money for a cause before, so this is a true test of my creativity. To those of you wishing to donate or interested in the keychain, please let me know. I want to connect with each and every one of you! THANK YOU AGAIN!

Linz

2 comments:

  1. Glad to help, Linz, and I wish you all the best as you train and continue to raise funds for the Foundation.

    I had the opportunity to raise funds for my marathon effort at Disney earlier this year, and it does add an extra challenge to getting ready...but it also adds needed inspiration on those days that training seems daunting.

    I look forward to continuing to hear about this Boston Marathon journey you are on...and as a born-and-raised New Englander (and die hard Red Sox fan), this race is definitely on my bucket list, so it's fun to watch you take on the quest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pete!

      Thanks so much for the support and awesome words of encouragement! Since the end of January it's all been moving so fast! Today, I confirmed my singlet and tech tee size for the Foundation for our race gear. It still feels like a dream! This is truly an adventure of a lifetime and I'm glad to share it!

      Delete